This week I have been moving into my new studio space for the second semester of first year, so I have been sorting through old work and making plans for a new series - more info to come on that soon (sneak peaks on Instagram!)
Over the past few weeks, however, things have looked a lot less admin-y and more productive. I have been in and out of the print room each and every day, creating my first series of screenprints.
I started out with my photoshop manipulation I had previously made and printed this onto acetate. This would be exposed onto my screen, acting as a photographic layer which would sit on top of and among other hand-painted tru-grain stencil layers.
Layering tru-grain on top of my master copy, I hand painted the areas that I wanted to be printed the same colour. Using my laptop as a reference to the original image I was able to create three separate tru-grain sheets that would be exposed onto my screen alongside the photographic acetate.
Doing the process in this way as opposed to simply making a four colour separation screenprint allowed me to add extra details with a finer degree of precision. This was especially true for the top layer which I created using fine liners, outlining some of the map details in my master copy so they could be printed in brighter colours over the top of the photographic details.
Once my layers were complete, I moved on to working out the colour palette. I decided sticking with greys, mustard yellows, navy blues and maroons was best as it was inkeeping with my work up to this point.
Back in the print room, I stripped a screen (taller than myself!) ready for exposing my own work onto, for beginning the print process the following week...