The last week or so has been a busy, hectic one. Long studio days, hours upon hours of painting and tweaking and planning. I'm exhausted and have been long overdue an admin afternoon to tie together what's been going on in the studio.
I'm exhausted, but happily exhausted. The paintings have started to come together and as soon as I leave the studio, I want to go back and do more...
Each painting feels as though it has come to a resolve of it's own accord. They aren't necessarily becoming easier to paint; it's still puzzling to figure out compositions and when something is truly 'done' sometimes. However, I feel like I'm getting better at figuring that out with each painting completed. Better yet, each painting is making me more exited to start the next one.
I've never felt this elated in the studio before; never felt this wholly absorbed in my practice. In all honesty, bodies of work that I have made before this series have frustrated me more than anything else. The process has never felt this joyful.
All of a sudden, with this collection, in my final term of my degree, everything has slot into place. Painting these canvas' has become the purest form of satisfaction.
I picked up my final glaze test results from my course at Brickworks on Monday evening. There are very subtle differences in the first line blend I had tried, but I put that down to not using enough mining waste as a colourant in the base glaze.
However, there were some really interesting results in the bi-axel blend I tried with waste mining pigments and matt/transparent glaze bases. It was particularly interesting to note how one glaze can be so distinct upon different clay bodies. I am very grateful to Rose from Brickworks for all her knowledge and support as I've trialled the science of glaze making with her over the last month or so. I'm excited to see where my experiments with clay and glaze will take my practice in the future. Perhaps there will even be some ceramic work in my degree show...
The last couple of days have been spent finishing off the last few paintings from the Bissoe and Trenoweth series' ready to start the Geevor series next week (hopefully!).
There has been a lot of painting going on... work on every surface and wall my little space possesses. I have had to do gymnastics to move around all the drying canvas' in my studio!
It has paid off, though, as I finished the last of the Bissoe and Trenoweth paintings this morning, alongside applying the last layers to the fifteen mini canvas' I have been working on, too.
Only one field work trip to go and approximately 18 paintings (big and small) to make. The countdown to degree show has begun!